Natural baryte (barium sulphate, chemical formula BaSO4) can be characterised by:
- High inertness in various media
- High density and, as a result, low oil absorption
- Medium Mohs hardness of 3
- High Refractive Index of 1.64
- Easy wetting
- Easy to disperse (also compared to precipitated barium sulphate)
Natural barium sulphate comes without any residual salts when compared to precipitated grades. In addition, natural barytes are easier to disperse than precipitated grades.
|Colour (D65/ 10°) L*||96||91.5||beige||[-]|
|BaSO4 + SrSO4||98.5||97.5||96.5||[%]|
Production Location: Brassington (UK), Geertruidenberg (NL), Poviglio (IT), Ramensky (RU)
Portaryte products’ main benefit when used in rubber compounds is densifying and sound-deadening. They will also provide chemical resistance and weatherability. Due to their low hardness the material is also easy to process and will allow for a smooth surface of the extruded product.